Archive for January, 2011
Online Dating Magazine launched in July 2003 as a free independent publication for online daters and singles. From the first day of the launch to January 2010, Online Dating Magazine had the same look. In January 2010, the publication underwent a complete transformation. The site is not only completely different visually, but it also includes many new interactive elements. For example, every page now has its own commenting system so that you can comment on the article you just read, video you watched, or cartoon you laughed at. In addition, the publication is conducting monthly polls to get Online Dating Magazine reader insight into various issues. For example, for January the poll was “Which Online Dating Service Do You Think is the Best?” The February poll asks what the worse thing is to lie about in your online dating profile.
You can view the new and improved Online Dating Magazine at http://www.onlinedatingmagazine.com.
One of the best shows that singles can watch for great dating tips is A&E’s Confessions of a Matchmaker starring matchmaker Patti Novak. It airs in half-hour segments every week and features Novak’s adventures with clients in Buffalo, New York. Novak is a no-nonsense person who tells it as it is and when clients listen, they find success where none existed before.
As a service to our readers, we will break down the valuable tips that Novak presents in each episode, starting with the first one in this post:
Episode 1 (Charlie & Ashley) – Dating Tips:
– Control what you put into your mouth because what you put into your mouth affects your confidence.
– Don’t tan a lot. It’s bad for your skin and makes people think you’re “covering something up”.
– Your looks will determine the type of person you meet (i.e. women trying to look too sexy can attract all the wrong guys).
– A softer look makes you more approachable.
– When trying to correct a lifestyle issue or habit that is inhibiting your dating, just “trying” to fix it isn’t good enough. You must do it.
– When on a date, don’t talk with your mouth full. It’s gross.
– Getting wasted on a first date usually doesn’t lead to a second date.
– On a first date it is inappropriate to force your territory on someone (i.e. bringing friends and introducing them, etc.).
– Too much makeup can make you look insecure and fake.
One thing you learn from this show is that tips are only good if you follow them. For example, in this episode, Ashley came to Novak for help. Novak told her to stop tanning and wearing so much makeup in order to get that softer look. Ashley agreed, but then ignored the advice and her first date was a disaster, partially because the guy thought she wore too much makeup.
When people seek out advice, it only does them good if they learn to follow that advice.
Here are some dating tips from the second episode of Confessions of a Matchmaker with Patti Novak. You can catch the show on A&E:
Episode 2 (John) – Dating Tips:
– On the first date, don’t talk about self-esteem issues (i.e. John was a 41-year old virgin and Novak tolk him never to talk about that on a first date).
– Show self-esteem and self-confidence (even if you have to “fake” it).
– Don’t talk about your past dating history on a first date.
– Don’t talk about anything painful in your past on a first date.
– If you’re asked about your dating history, simply say, “you know I’ve dated a lot of girls/guys… I just haven’t met the right one yet” and leave it at that.
What I love about this show is that the advice Patti Novak gives is right on. These are tips everyone should follow. Interestingly enough, in this episode John’s date with a woman didn’t go so well and after some further discussion, Novak presented the idea of him going on a casual date with a guy. He agreed and seemed to have a much better time.