Archive for November, 2010
Episode 11 of Confessions of a Matchmaker follows matchmaker Patti Novak as she helps Mike (a man with a busy lifestyle) and Sue (who doesn’t know how to flirt). Here are some dating tips that can be gained from this episode:
Episode 11 (Mike and Sue) – Dating Tips:
– Never put yourself down on a date. It will cause your date to look down on you or lose interest quick. If you can’t say nothing nice about yourself, then don’t say anything at all!
– If you want to fall in love, you have to make time for it. Love requires commitment.
– Keep inappropriate remarks to yourself.
– Don’t be too aggressive (or “in your face”) on a first date. It turns people off.
– Don’t be sarcastic on a date and don’t say rude things to your date.
– Learn to flirt.
– Keep a clean living space. It is representative of you.
– If you have self esteem issues, work on those first before going on dates.
This was an interesting episode because we saw some new things. Patti Novak gave Sue lessons on flirting and sent her on a date to try them out. However, instead of practicing what she had learned, she proceeded to tell her date, “I’m a very bad flirt” then told her the things Novak was teaching her. Bad idea! It’s appropriate to practice things you are learning, but probably not so good to tell your date about it. That kind of ruins the whole purpose.
I really didn’t get Mike at first. He has an ultra busy lifestyle, promises Novak he’ll change that to find love, then doesn’t call the people she matches him with because he is “too busy”?! If you want someone to share your life with, you must put an effort into finding that person and in fostering your relationship.
Favorite line from this episode:
Patti Novak finally gets Mike to set up a date in his busy schedule. The camera cuts to the minature golf course where Mike is waiting for his date to arrive. Novak says, “The date was off to an unbelievable start. To begin with, Mike showed up!”
Patti (with an i – not Patty) Novak is a matchmaker in Buffalo, New York. Her work is widely seen on A & E Confessions of a Matchmaker. In episode 12 of Confessions of a Matchmaker, Patti Novak works with Sean B. and Tonya. Sean B has trouble talking with girls because he is extremely shy. Tonya’s problem is that she is addicted to adult videos. Here are some dating tips that can be gained from this Episode
Episode 12 (Sean B. and Tonya) – Dating Tips:
– If you’re shy, you have to get over it and break through the barrier. Don’t think about it – do it. Otherwise you’ll be a fifth wheel (to your friends and their partners) forever.
– Lose your bad addictions, otherwise they’ll become a crutch to your dating life.
– If you have trouble with conversations on a date (because you are shy), memorize a list of topics before the date and practice asking questions. Good conversation topics include: music, family, career, favorite things to do. Do not ask about politics or religion!
– Alluding to sex and sex topics on a date is inappropriate.
In this episode, Sean B. kind of reminded me of myself when I was in high school – very shy. You become so fearful of rejection and what other people might think that it interferes with your ability to interact with the opposite sex. In high school, I was so frustrated with my shyness that I decided to do something about it. The first step was forcing myself to simply say “hi” to people when I passed them at school. I used to go out of my way to avoid passing some people because of my shyness.
The second thing I did was force myself to do public speaking. The first time was extremely hard and somewhat embarrassing (a story for another time), but by forcing myself to do public speaking, I quickly overcame my shyness. A secondary benefit was that in college I went on to represent the United States at a world speech competition in Sweden! Once I broke out of my shell and grabbed that confidence, there was no turning back. Life became a whole lot better.
While online dating is the best way for people to meet their potential soulmate, it is Godsend for shy people. I think that’s why Sean B. initially went to Patti – because he avoided having to ask someone out by having her match him. The same is true with online dating. Many shy people can shed the “shyness” when in the comfort of their home with a computer screen between them and the person they are communicating with.
In this final episode of season one of Confessions of a Matchmaker, Patti Novak works with Melba (a wild mom) and Sean K. (who blogs about his sex life).
Here are some dating tips that can be learned from this episode…
Episode 13 (Sean K. and Melba) – Dating Tips:
– “When sex becomes an obsession, it can get in the way of finding real love.”
– “If you want a good guy, you gotta be a good girl.”
– If you’ve done things in your life that you are not proud of, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on.
– When you go on a date, keep your drinking under control.
– It is highly inappropriate to write or blog about your sexual experiences with dates… especially when you mention them by name!
– As mentioned in previous posts/episodes, it is inappropriate to talk about sex on the first date.
Judging from the number of searches of people looking for Sean’s blog, one would wonder if he really deleted it or not! I was really disappointed in Sean because he claimed to be a gentleman, yet on his date he was all about sexual innuendos, disrespecting his date and turning her off to him real quick. Out of all the episodes this season, I think Sean is the most hopeless. Until he learns how to properly treat a woman, he’ll never find one that he can experience true love with.
Melba seemed to learn, particularly when Patti gave her a male version of herself for a date. Sometimes that’s what we need – to see ourselves in a mirror – in order to make an improvement to our lifestyle.
That’s it for the first season of Confessions of a Matchmaker. Thirteen episodes was too short for this first season. It is unknown at this time whether or not A&E will renew Confessions of a Matchmaker. They did move it from a great time slot to a unfavorable time slot in mid-season and that’s never a good sign.